SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Christopher Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:19:27 -0400
Hi,

We are trying to put together intelligent policy for yum software
updates for workstations and servers.  We would appreciate anyone
willing to share how the control yum updates for servers & workstations.

We started looking at the yum plugins; there are lots of options. Not
sure how well different plugins work together.

Does anyone use the yum-downloadonly plugin ? How do you install the yum
updates after they have been downloaded ?

If we use the yum-updateonboot plugin, that could mean long server
reboot times, if there are lots of updates (I remember this happening on
my fedora laptop).

If we use both the yum-downloadonly and yum-updateonboot plugins, would
that mean faster reboots since most of the updates would already be
saved local to the machine ?

Thanks,

--
Chris Hunter
Systems Programmer, Astronomy Yale University