SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
James Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:32:44 -0600
On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 10:12 -0700, Suneel Dutt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>   I am novice to Linux installation kind of stuff and has installed on
> my Dell Inspiron-1525 laptop.

You might find Ubuntu is closer to what you're looking for from a linux
distro for a new user.

> But I am facing a lot of problems with this Linux Version(May be I am
> not approaching the thing correctly). My first and the major problem
> is that I am not able to access Internet at all.
>
>  I tried using ndiswarper but could not get away with it as it is
> complaining that the Kernel is not found. Also I tried to install the
> Linux version of the Ethernet Driver I am using in Windows Vista. I
> donot know how can I fix the problem. Also I tried to install ROOT on
> it  but could not succeed.

ndiswrapper is often not a great solution, in my opinion.

A fedora user says he found a driver here:

http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do

Again, ubuntu does a reasonably good job of offering comprehensive
driver support out of the box, and if a better closed source driver is
available, it's typically in their restricted repositories.

There's also a reasonable how to for installing ROOT on Ubuntu:

http://ultrahigh.org/2007/08/17/building-root-packages-on-ubuntu-feisty

If you're set on Scientific Linux for some reason, let us know and we
can try and work out a better solution than "use something else" ;)