SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:23:06 -0500
P. Larry Nelson wrote:
> Looking thru my yum email logs today, I noticed that ten of my
> SL 4.4 systems (I have some 40 SL 4.4 systems - servers of one
> form or another - all nearly identical installations) had big
> updates to the tune of something over 140 packages.
>
> Odd, I thought since I had not received anything of late from the
> [log in to unmask] list relating to SL4.  I wondered
> why my other 30 systems had not updated, so I went to a couple and
> did a 'yum update' and they came back with "No Packages marked for
> Update/Obsoletion".
>
> How odd.  What's going on, I wondered.
> Then I did a 'cat /etc/redhat-release' on a system that had the 140
> updates and on one that did not and noticed that the ones with the
> updates are now at SL 4.6 while the other 30 are still SL 4.4.
>
> So, why did 1/4 of my systems suddenly decide to update themselves
> to SL 4.6 and the other 3/4 did not - not even with a manual
> 'yum update' ??
>
> - Larry

Sounds like they were not all identically installed.  The odds are that the
ones that did the update were pointing to 4x and not 44.
Two things to look at
   rpm -qa | grep yum-conf
   grep 4x /etc/yum.repos/*

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group