SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:23:21 -0500
Not sure why your GPU is detected as unknown, but as far as the AGP
settings, you can do the following in your modprobe.conf or equivalent:

# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-9755
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-9755
options nvidia-1_0-9755 NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
NVreg_ReqAGPRate=4

Probably have to update the 9755 to whatever your current version is.
See if that helps you at all.

Cheers,
Mark

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Hi, I upgraded to NVIDIA 169.12 from ATrpms, and as with the previous
> versions, it doesn't detect my card NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT AGP 8x,
> installed on an AGP 4x slot.
>
> It is shown in the screenshot attached.
>
> I have added in my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>     BoardName      "GeForce 7300 GT"
> EndSection
>
> manually but it doesn't work as far as the detection is concerned
> (OpenGL applications like Google Earth and the game GL-117, and some
> other games I tried in the past, work fine).
>
> Checking the web I came across this:
>
> [john@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
> Driver:          AGPGART
> AGP Rate:        2x
> Fast Writes:     Disabled
> SBA:             Disabled
> [john@localhost ~]$
>

> Is there any way I can change "AGP Rate:" to 4x, and perhaps enable
> "Fast Writes" and "SBA" by editing some configuration file(s) under SL?
>

> MY system is:
>
> CPU: Pentium III 1 GHz
> Motherboard: ASUS CUV4X-E with the latest BIOS update.
> FSB: 133 MHz
> Video card: GeForce 7300 GT AGP 8x on an AGP 4x/AGP Pro slot.

Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer

National Electrostatics Corp.
P.O. Box 620310