SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Kenneth MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenneth MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:10:52 +0000
On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 10:48 -0500, Miles O'Neal wrote:
> Troy Dawson said...
> |
> |Niels Walet wrote:
> |> I hate replying to my own messages, but all indications are that redhat g
> |> ave
> |> up on having a CLI tool. The description found at
> |> http://cyberelk.net/tim/2007/05/04/what-happened-to-printconf-tui/ "argue
> |> s"
> |> the case for abandoning it. Not convinced I agree if these are networked
> |> printers, and I only want to install a few with the correct drivers. Of
> |> course we can install a print server, but why?
> |> I still would like to see a high quality script that does this job though
> |> !
> |>
> |> Niels
> |
> |I am not a printer expert (which is why I haven't replied earlier) but can't
> |you just take the configuration files in /etc/cups/ from the one machine that
> |has them all, and just copy it to the other machine?
>
> You [potentially] need to change or copy over several files.
>
> cups/cupsd.conf
> cups/lpoptions
> cups/ppd/$PRINTER.ppd # for each PRINTER you care about
> cups/printers.conf
>
> We just keep a set of cups tarballs for each network
> that has different settings.  An rpm would of course
> work, also.
>
> If you want things identical, you can, indeed, just
> clone the /etc/cups/ tree.

We use an LCFG[1] CUPS[2] component to configure printers on our SL5
boxes.

It uses 'lpadmin' to do the heavy lifting of configuring the CUPS
printer queues.  You might find something useful inside the code (shell
script).

Cheers,

Kenny.

[1] <http://www.lcfg.org>
[2] <http://adelie.ucs.ed.ac.uk/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lcfg-cups/>

--
Desktop Services, IS, The University of Edinburgh