SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:49:23 -0600
Iwona Sakrejda wrote:
> Various emergencies took me away for my quest to add
> site-specific rpms to the install I downloaded for SL 4.4.
> With your reply I made a significant progress, but still
> have some questions about the process described at:
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/create.site
>
> I created my site in the <tree>/sites/ directory by copying
> the <tree>/sites/example directory. Then I added my own RPMs
> into <tree>/sites/<mysite>/Updates as suggested in:
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/30x/i386/sites/example/build/documentation/README.steps
>
> I started with scripts/README. I did modify locations.include
> as you are suggesting, but that's where I first tripped.
> The README file says:
>
> Change TREE= to point to your <tree>
>
> And in the file the TREE is built automatically and you need to
> set RELEASEDIR. One can infer from the context how the two
> are related, but would be nicer if README talked about the RELEASEDIR.
>
> Then I ran make.everything.sh  and it seemed to finish happily.
>
> Now in my kickstart file I used to have:
> #Install OS instead of upgrade
> install
> #Use NFS installation Media
> nfs --server=<someserver>  --dir=<tree>
>
> I was looking at what got modified by the
> make.everything.sh script and (as the name suggests)
> it was writing all over the place, not only in the <mysite>
> directory...

Connie will probrubly answer more, but I do know the one answer.
You point your installer at <tree>
An example is for Scientific Linux Fermi, which is at
/scientific/44/i386/sites/Fermi
We point our installers at
/scientific/44/i386/

Troy

> Thanks a lot for all the help,
>
> Iwona
>

> Troy Dawson wrote:
>> Iwona Sakrejda wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was trying to customize my kickstart install following
>>> instructions provided at:
>>> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/create.site
>>> but I cannot reconcile those instructions with the
>>> structure of directories that I find on isos downloaded from:
>>> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/44/iso/i386
>>> I get stuck right away where the instructions talk
>>> about the "example" directory. One is supposed to copy it
>>> and customize but I just cannot find it....
>>>
>>> Grateful for suggestions,
>>>
>>> Iwona
>> Hello,
>> If you are just expanding the SL CD's, you might not see the
>> site/example area.  I believe we do not include the sites on the
>> CD's.  I'd have to check to make sure.
>>
>> The example site is available via ftp at
>>
>> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/44/i386/sites/example
>>
>> The path is quite consistent, so it's not just for 44, the generic
>> area is
>> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/<distro>/<arch>/sites/example
>>

>> I'm currently working on the example site for 5.1, and it will be in
>> the same area, just with a distro of 5.1
>>
>> Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group