SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:10:40 -0800
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:56 AM, markaoki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Hello
>  I have noticed that there is no SMP kernel in the
>  repositories. Is this right?
>
>  How can I choose between SMP and no SMP kernel during the
>  installation?
>
>  It seems that the installation picked the SMP version
>  automatically, but I do not want it because I have some
>  modules that do not compile with it (Cisco VPN)
>
>  Thanks for your help
>
>  Fernando

> hi Fernando,

>  If you want, you can post your compile errors here.
>  I have never seen a situation where smp support caused a compile failure.
>  Its very interesting, thanks
>
>  -mark

Fernando,

Looks like the Release Notes (even the latest) for Cisco VPN says "SMP
kernels are not supported".  I suppose the only way to get a non-smp
(UP) kernel is to recompile from the source.  I have done this before
but with an earlier version of the kernel.  I heard that more recent
version had some issue when rebuilding.

I wonder if you *must* use Cisco VPN ...

Akemi