SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:25:45 +0100
On 26/03/08 15:39, Faye Gibbins wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Lots of our users are having trouble when using firefox with SL5
> with the NVidia drivers (both legacy and newer ones).
>
>     Running firefox using /usr/bin/firefox --sync --no-xshm this error
> message was reported after mine crashed and disappeared from the desktop:
>
> snip---
>
> fgibbins@geosl548 ~ $ firefox
> [NoScript] [NoScript] browserDOMWindow wrapped for external load
> interception
> [NoScript] [NoScript] browserDOMWindow wrapped for external load
> interception
> [NoScript] [NoScript] browserDOMWindow wrapped for external load
> interception
> [NoScript] [NoScript] browserDOMWindow wrapped for external load
> interception
> [NoScript] Component returned failure code: 0x80570009
> (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT
> _JS) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.lookupMethod] while showing NOSCRIPT element
> [NoScript] Component returned failure code: 0x80570009
> (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT
> _JS) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.lookupMethod] while showing NOSCRIPT element
> The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
>   (Details: serial 22989464 error_code 1 request_code 0 minor_code 0)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)
> fgibbins@geosl548 ~ $
>
> snip---
>
> has anyone seen this before/know how to fix it?

Haven't seen this myself. But the above would lead me to suspect a bug
in the "NoScript" extension. If you can reproduce this at will, perhaps
you could try first without NoScript, then retry with the
latest&greatest (unless you have that already), then install the
firefox-debuginfo RPM (matching your firefox RPM version+architecture),
then run the bove under gdb (you will need to set up the environment for
firefox to find its libraries, have a look at /usr/bin/firefox). This at
least should provide a helpful backtrace, which might allow the NoScript
people to guess where the problem is.

"request_code 0" indeed does not exist. This would look more like a bug
in Firefox, it should not be making such a bogus request. You could see
whether using the "vesa" X11 driver makes the problem go away, this
would allow to take the proprietary NVidia drives out of the issue...

On the other hand, have a look at the changes proposed at the end of
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-96192.html

Regards
jan