SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
WILLIAM J LUTTER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WILLIAM J LUTTER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:23:17 -0500
I use nx/nxclient connecting SL4 and SL5 nx servers to windows XP clients (nxclient) and to other linux PCs.    To avoid the license restrsictions on the www.nomachine.com freeware versions, (2 connections per server), I've used freenx and  an earlier www.nomachine.com release (nxclient-1.5.0-141.i386.rpm).  This continues to work very well with SL4.  On SL5, gnome never played well with nx due to applet issues that I chose not to delve into.  Kde worked fine, so one could connect to SL5 via kde using nx and all is well - until recently.

Recently on SL5 (there must have been an update of a kde package?), keystrokes are not recognized when connecting with nx from linux or windows XP to the SL5 nxserver.  If I hit a screen saver button (Print Scrn?) that will bring up a screen saver window during the SL5 nx session, but otherwise no keystrokes show in terminals.  Very unsatisfying.

I did try updating the kernel from  2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 to 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 and I updated nx and freenx via yum (atrpms).  No change.

I figure I'm on my own on this as I reallly should be using the latest freeware from www.nomachine.com (and accepting their 2 connection limitation).  Nevertheless, my questionss are:
1)  Is there a simple keystroke behavior fix that I have missed?
2)   I suspect it has to be yum updates that changed kde behavior.  As I don't have an exact day for when the nx keystroke misbehavior started, I'm not fully certain what software package triggered this, plus I don't see any recent kde updates when I take a look via yumex (ages list).  My best guess is that thie keystroke misbehavior started within the last month.

Bill Lutter

To compare SL4 and SL5 nx so you see how old these packages are that still work...
SL4.0
nx-1.5.0-0.FC4.1.i686
nxclient-1.5.0-141.i386
freenx-0.4.4-1.fdr.0.noarch