SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:06:53 +0100
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Greetings.  We have a lately had a lot of trouble with relatively large
>>  (order of 1TB) file systems mounted on RAID 5 or RAID 6 volumes.  The
>>  file systems in question are based on ext3.
>>
>>  In a typical scenario, we have a drive go bad in a RAID array.  We then
>>  remove it from the array, if it isn't already, add a new hard drive
>>  (i.e., by hand, not from a hot spare), and add it back to the RAID
>>  array.  The RAID operations are all done using mdadm.
>>
>>  After the RAID array has completed its rebuild, we run fsck on the RAID
>>  device.  When we do that, fsck seems to run forever, i.e., for days at a
>>  time, occasionally spitting out messages about files with recognizable
>>  names, but never completing satisfactorily.
>>

> fsck of 1TB is going to take days  due to the linear nature of it

Hmm, we successfully fsck'd ext3 filesystems 1.4 TB in size frequently a
couple of years ago, under 2.4 (back then, it was SuSE 8.2 + a vanilla
kernel). This took no more than a few hours (maybe 2,3, or 4).  It was
hardware RAID, not too reliable (hence "frequently"), and not too fast (<
100 MB/s). A contemporary linux server with software RAID should complete
an fsck *much* faster, or something is wrong.

And I still wonder why fsck at at all just because a broken disk was
replaced in a redundant array?

--
Stephan Wiesand
   DESY - DV -