SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Klaus Steinberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klaus Steinberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:36:37 +0100
Hi,

> We're trying to make these applications work on the new system, and I
> have to say it's a can of worms.
Yes, pdflib is a Mega-Can of worms. It has an very bad record of incompatible
API changes, and the license is way off from a free License.

> I suppose that if we remove  some more of the standard SL PHP packages
> we might eventually come into equilibrium here, but I keep thinking
> there must be a better way

One way is to rebuild PHP from SL's src.rpm's with included pdflib support and
give it different release/version number. Of course you have to do that every
time a security update comes out.

Also you could try to build the pdflib support for PHP as a Module (you need
to install the php-devel Package).

> If you've got any cleaner way to deal with PHP/PDF, will you please let
> me know ASAP?
The cleanest way, but maybe very hard way depending on how well written you're
php apps are is probably to change the apps to use FPDF instead.

 http://www.fpdf.org/

It's a PHP Class, so it doesn't a lib, just plain PHP, and its really free.

Sincerly,
Klaus

--
Klaus Steinberger         Beschleunigerlaboratorium
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287  Am Coulombwall 6, D-85748 Garching, Germany