SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Jan Schulze <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan Schulze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 06:05:59 -0500
Hi all,

I have a disk array with about 4.5 TB and would like to use it as one lar
ge
logical volume with an ext3 file system. When mounting the logical volume
, I
get an "Input/Output error: can't read superblock".

I'm using SL 4.2 with kernel 2.6 and this is what I did so far:
- used parted to create a gpt disk label (mklabel gpt) and one large
partition (mkpart primary ext3 0s -1s)
- used parted to enable LVM flag on device (set 1 LVM on)
- created one physical volume, one volume group and one logical volume
(pvcreate /dev/sda1, vgcreate raid6 /dev/sda1, lvcreate -l 1189706 -n vol
1
raid6)
- created an ext3 filesystem and explicitly specified a 4K blocksize, as
this should allow a filesystem size of up to 16 TB (mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -b 409
6
/dev/raid6/vol1)

However, mounting (mount /dev/raid6/vol1 /raid) gives the superblock erro
r,
mentioned above.

Everything is working as expected, when using ext2 filesystem (with LVM)
or
ext3 filesystem (without LVM). Using a smaller volume (< 2 TB) is working

with ext3+LVM as well. Only the combination of > 2TB+ext3+LVM gives me tr
ouble.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Regards,
Jan