SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:00:15 -0500
Rachid Ayad wrote:
>   Hello, I was using revtex with OpenSuSe 9.2 (even it works in Suse10.2),
> and when I upgraded to SL5 the same latex file does not compile well
> anymore. The document styles I am usng in latex I am using including
> revtex (also I am including header=xxxprolog.ps):
>
> ********
> \documentstyle[aps,revtex,floats,epsfig,10pt]{revtex}
> \special{header=xxxprolog.ps}
> *********
>
>   In the machine running OpenSuse10.2 "rpm -q tetex" gives: tetex-3.0-60
> but in SL5 it gives: tetex-3.0-33.2.el5.2
>
>   So do you think is latex version and how to update to tetex-3.0-60 in SL5
> ?
>
>   Regards, rachid .

First, a couple of things to remember

OpenSuse is comparable to Fedora
SuseLinux Enterprise Server is comparable to Scientific Linux.

Why does that matter?
OpenSuse and Fedora are both "bleeding edge" distributions.  They always work
with the latest and greatest, and they also have a short support lifetime.

SLES, RHEL, and SL are all "Enterprise" distributions.  They use the most
stable releases of products and they support them for a long long time.

So if you want the latest and greatest, use Fedora or OpenSuse.  If you run
Scientific Linux, you are going to get a stable, but sometimes older, version
of a product.

With that in mind, to answer your question.  The latest version of tetex in
Scientific Linux 5 is 3.0-33.2.el5.2.  We currently do not expect that to
change anytime soon, and if it does, we expect it to only be the end numbers
(such as 3.0-33.2.el5.3)

Does that mean you can't get the newer version someplace?  No, I'm just giving
the "offical" statement on what version we have.  I've checked, and I don't see
a newer version anywhere in our yum repositories, but that doesn't mean it
isn't someplace.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group