SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2008

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:27:02 +0100
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Troy Dawson wrote:

> [log in to unmask] wrote:

>> But how to get these updates onto systems where the old packages are
>> already installed (other than manually, with --force)? Do I have to dig
>> out my old scripts from the pre yum aera?

> You have a good point.
> Any ideas anyone?

Lots, but they all end up either reinventing up2date or hacking yum and/or
rpmlib. Not very appealing :-(

But then they actually did break "rpm -U" and "yum update", so maybe
that's what we're bound to do after all anyway.

I wonder whether there's a hidden switch when building rpm to make it
work right with z-stream tags. If there is, the CentOS folks haven't found
it either... I'm going to check whether TUV's rpm binaries get it right,
unless someone beats me to it.

- Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand