SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:04:46 -0600
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Rachid Ayad wrote:
>>  Hello, I did it in my SL5:
>>
>> yum --enablerepo=adobe list Adobe\*
>>
>>  but it says:
>>
>> ***********
>>

>> Error getting repository data for adobe, repository not found
>> *********
>>
>>  Rachid .
>

> In SL 5.x, the repository is named "flash". As root, you can also do
>
> yum install "yumex*"
>
> to install yumex, a graphical GUI for yum, that enables you to select
> repositories among other things. It is a must, at least for me!  :-)
>

> A bug regarding the flash repository (which contains both the latest
> flash plugin and the latest acrobat reader).
>
> As root, edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/flash.repo and make the statement
>
> gpgcheck=0
>
> so as to work.
>

> Also, after installing yumex you may edit /etc/yumex.conf and make
>
> autorefresh = 0
>
> This is also a must for me too!
>

> The above will help you manage packages effectively.
>

> Ioannis (John)

*Troy looks through his various yum-conf (from SL 309 through SL 51) and looks
a bit dejected.*
Well ... it looks like this is the one yum repository that I have not remained
consistant, although there were various reasons.

In SL3, in the early days, the file was yum.conf.flash, and yet the repository
name was [macromedia].  At some point I changed the repository name to [flash]
because macromedia was a bit long, and the flash plugin was all that was in it.

I believe most of SL4 had the repostory file named flash.repo and the
repository called [flash]

SL51 I believe had the file called flash.repo and the repository called [adobe]

And, incase that wasn't confusing enough, at some point, when you updated your
flash-plugin, it also pulled in adobe's attempt to get everyone moved over to
their own repository, and it installed adobe-linux-i386.repo, which had the
repository name [adobe-linux-i386]

So, for the --enablerepo= section, you can put in
--enablerep=macromedia
--enablerepo=flash
--enablerepo=adobe
--enablerepo=adobe-linux-i386

uggg ... I believe this needs to be cleaned up.
I'll start with SL 4.6, since that is still changeable.  Any idea's?

Two thoughts I had were to just change what we have to
/etc/yum.repos/adobe.repo and have the repository be called [adobe]
The other thought is to take the adobe part out of our main yum-conf and just
put in adobe's yum rpm.  This way people wouldn't be getting two repo's
pointing to the same place if they install adobe's yum rpm later.  But if I do
that, I would probably want to make that part of the <office> group or something.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group