SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:00:52 -0600
Mamday wrote:
> I just downloaded Scientific Linux 4.5, and am trying to install the
> driver for an Intel Pro Wireless BG2200. The INSTALL instructions(found
> here: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/INSTALL) require you to check the
> autoconf.h file, and be able to delete current versions of ieee80211 and
> ipw2200(which I am pretty sure is specific to the wireless card, so that
> is probably not an issue) which includes removing config files for these
> drivers in the autoconf.h file. However, if I go to /lib/modules/'uname -r'
>  there is no /build folder. It seems that the kernel autoconf.h file is
> hidden. How can I get access to this file so I can alter it and
> configure the wireless?
>
> Melanie

Hi,
I don't know if anyone has replied to you offlist.  But, just incase they
didn't here goes.

ipw2200 is supplied in the kernel that comes with SL 4.5.
/lib/modules/<kernel>/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ipw2200.ko

But, you also need the firmware to activate it, which is also in the distribution.
   rpm -q ipw2200-firmware
and if it isn't there
   yum install ipw2200-firmware

I know that isn't answering exactly what you asked, but I figured it might help
you do work that is already done.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group