SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:04:43 -0600
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Here is what I sent to scientific-linux-devel
>> -------------------
>> The problem is that we have two sets of users.  Those that want the latest R
>> and those that want the stable, this is what we use R.
>>
>> As each S.L. release comes out, we'll just check and see what the latest R
>> is, and put it in that release.  But we don't update the R in the older
>> releases. So if a person wants to sit on whatever R came with S.L. 4.5, they
>> can just stay at S.L. 4.5.  Or just use the R in S.L. 4.5 and put it in their
>> excludes line for yum.
>>
>> This will allow us to get a new version out every 6 months, which should keep
>> at least a fair amount of the R users happy, I hope.
>> --------------------
>>
>> Just so you know, I have put R 2.5.0 into rolling, it should go out with the
>> beta, and I am working on R 2.6.0.  It didn't compile on the first shot, so I
>> need to check and see why.  Hopefully it's something trivial.  If I get it to
>> compile before the beta goes out, I'll put it in.
>
> I know you are all overworked, but did R-2.6 get anywhere?  I just got the
> usual complaint from an R user that 2.6.2 was out and we don't have it
> yet.
>
> If there are changes needed over the previous rpm builds then we may be
> able to pitch in a bit (e.g. (most of) the minor changes I needed for
> building R-2.3 on SL got added to the next version of the specfile they
> supply at http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/SRPMS/R.spec so that
> should hopefully already be _fairly_ close to what is needed).
>
> --
> Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
> Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/

Jon,
If you can provide a spec file and/or a src.rpm for R, that would be wonderful.
  If all I need to do is just a recompile, that would help things immensely.
I can always just put the releases into Contrib or Testing in between releases.
Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group