SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 05:03:16 +0000
Today while checking something else I noticed that on the 15th TUV
released 'firefox stability update' and 'thunderbird stability update'
packages.

Reading the announcements (and bugzilla entries) I see the following
statements:

  https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2008-0147.html

   A stability bug was found in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Firefox
   packages released in RHSA-2008:0103. These packages were linked against
   an incorrect version of a library which would cause Firefox to randomly
   crash while the browser was in use.

  https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2008-0148.html

   A stability bug was found in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Thunderbird
   packages released in RHSA-2008:0105. These packages were linked against
   an incorrect version of a library which would cause Thunderbird to
   randomly crash while in use.

Now in both cases the updated srpm includes an additional patch but no
*obvious* changes to the libraries that the code will link against.

The only explanation I have managed to come up with is that they have
changed their build-environment in some way - different default packages
in their brewbuilder setup perhaps.  Does this seem at all likely?

Does anyone have a better explanation of what the incorrect-library
linking issue might actually be?

Now we have users complaining (some quite bitterly) about random crashes
of both firefox and thunderbird and this *seems* to have got noticably
worse about 2 months ago - at least judging by the number of reports we
get via our help-desk.  Personally I've not seen any problems but then I
mostly still use the seamonkey on SL3x and don't touch tbird except to
check that it runs :-)

Anyway tomorrow I'm going to try building ffox/tbird from the updated
srpms in the hope that either my rpm build-environment (I've not got
anything fancy yet) is good-enough or the extra patches help in some way.

--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/