SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:57:32 -0600
Olivier Thauvin wrote:
> Le lundi 18 février 2008, vous avez écrit :
>> Hello,
>> The distributions Scientific Linux 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 307 and 308
>> have not been supported since November 2007.  We will be moving them off
>> the main distribution server (ftp.scientificlinux.org) on February 29,
>> 2008, and we are asking all of our mirrors to do the same.
>>
>> For those that might have some reason to access a package or two from an
>> older SL3 release, they will be available in the obsoletes directory.  But
>> we are asking our mirrors to not mirror that directory.
>
> Sorry, I am mirror maintainer (http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/) and I
> don't understand some point of this mail...
>
> First, november 2007 is not so far, probably many people still have SL 3
> installed and working, and they don't have any reason to reinstall all
> computers. Moving tree will break their config.
>
> Well, ok, you want to move tree... But why mirrors which have space should
> stop to provide it ? I am lucky and I still have lot of space on mine. As
> some people at work use SL, I will continue to provide everything.
>
> Such action usually mean "if you don't have space, don't mirror obsoletes tree
> which is not maintains anymore".
>
> Final point, who are "your" mirrors? As one of them, I have not been contacted
> to add any exception on my side.
>
> Regards.

You are correct.  That was poorly worded because I have not contacted the
mirror maintainers other than general email that went to all scientific linux
users.  And you are correct, if a mirror wants to maintain the obsolete
directory, they certainly may.

About the users suddenly having to upgrade ... we've been saying it for a year
or two, and it's on the news section of the Scientific Linux web page, which is
listed on the front page.  I can't give any more warning than I have given
without being annoying, and you are the first one to say anything.

Also SL 3 isn't going away, just SL 301 - 308.  SL 309 is going to be there
until 2010.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group