SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2008

From:
Olivier Thauvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Olivier Thauvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:15:19 +0100
Le lundi 18 février 2008, vous avez écrit :
> Hello,
> The distributions Scientific Linux 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 307 and 308
> have not been supported since November 2007.  We will be moving them off
> the main distribution server (ftp.scientificlinux.org) on February 29,
> 2008, and we are asking all of our mirrors to do the same.
>
> For those that might have some reason to access a package or two from an
> older SL3 release, they will be available in the obsoletes directory.  But
> we are asking our mirrors to not mirror that directory.

Sorry, I am mirror maintainer (http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/) and I
don't understand some point of this mail...

First, november 2007 is not so far, probably many people still have SL 3
installed and working, and they don't have any reason to reinstall all
computers. Moving tree will break their config.

Well, ok, you want to move tree... But why mirrors which have space should
stop to provide it ? I am lucky and I still have lot of space on mine. As
some people at work use SL, I will continue to provide everything.

Such action usually mean "if you don't have space, don't mirror obsoletes tree
which is not maintains anymore".

Final point, who are "your" mirrors? As one of them, I have not been contacted
to add any exception on my side.

Regards.