SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:46:17 -0600
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Jon Peatfield wrote:
>> http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/linux/sl/damtp/5x/SRPMS/R-2.6.2-1.SL51.src.rpm
>>
>> The re-build finished quicker than I expected or the typing of that last
>> message took longer (or both).
>
> Hi Jon,
> I got one change for your spec file.
> Right now when you get the release version you do
>
>      %define VER %(rpmquery --qf '%{VERSION}' sl-release | sed 's/\\.//g')
>
> I have changed it to
>
>      %define VER %(rpmquery --qf '%{VERSION}' sl-release | cut -d'.' -f1)
>
> This gives us the major release number (SL4, SL5) instead of the minor release
> number (41, 51).
> I like this better for two reasons.
> First - The rpm should be able to run on any SL4 or SL5 machine, so the minor
> number isn't really needed.
> Second (and the real reason I changed it) - Later on you have
>      %if %{VER} >= 5
> And 41 is greater than 5, so it doesn't build on SL 4, because it's wanting
> everything that is in SL5.
>
> OK, one other change, but this is very minor.  For the distro is has SL in
> capitol letters, while RedHat and Centos are in lower case letters (rh, centos).
> This is a personal thing, but I like it better in lower case letters.
> Like I said, this change is minor and purely a personal preference, but if you
> want it in capitol letters, leave it.
>
> Thank you for your work on this.
> Troy

OK, one other thing, maybe you know what's wrong with this one.
This is on a SL 4 machine

It's failling at the very very last because

cp: cannot stat `doc/manual/R-exts.pdf': No such file or directory

I can change the spec file and comment out

%doc doc/manual/R-exts.pdf

But since it actually builds on SL 5, I'm wondering if you would know of a
better way, or where that file comes from.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group