SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Raymond Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Raymond Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:52:11 -0600
SL 4.5 was recently installed on CPU X. The account for root on X seems t
work fine. Our home directories for users in our group are mounted on a
central nfs system on Yserver, so Yserver:/home/user1  etc. This usually

works well.
Unfortunately, in the installation the account for userZ was initially
homed on X, i.e. X:/home/userZ. (And userz already has files on
Yserver:/home.)  When the account on X was modified to move /home to
the server (Yserver:/home/userZ), all hell broke loose. (I did make sure
the
userid and groupid matched the existing files on the server for userZ.)
I can login with a terminal, but the desktop is completely broken, with
sort of random non-functioning icons and navigation and a bunch of error
messages like:
"GConf error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible cause
are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stal
NFS locks due to a system crash. (Details - 1:IOR file
'/tmp/gconfd-userZ/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located:
Permission denied ... "

I'm not sure how to enable TCP/IP netwroking for ORBit (and don't know
what ORBit even is).
I was able to issue commands like "service nfslock start" but that didn't

change anything.

Any advice? Or should I simply try to start over with the SL installation
?

- Ray