SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:59:55 -0800
On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:30:33PM +1000, Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Greetings.  We're trying to install the free version of Zimbra on a SL
> > 5.0 system (i386).  Most of the installation goes smoothly, but
> > toward the end we have a problem with a failure to initialize LDAP.
> > If we omit SL's version of LDAP (Zimbra has its own), we get a
> > failure to connect to port 389.  If we run the SL version of LDAP
>
> Have you checked that your server is listening on port 389?
>
> Have you tried connecting to port 389?
>
> Do you know if Zimbra's own LDAP is started and listening on port 389?
>
> Shutting down openldap from SL5 means (to me) you'd need to start another ldap
> server (zimbra's) before it will connect. You cannot have two services
> listening on the same at the same time.

Hi, Michael.  Yes, I have tried connecting to port 389 (telnet localhost
389), and, indeed, there is no response, unless I've started SL's ldap
server.  Also, I would assume that Zimbra's ldap server is NOT started,
as I get the complaint DURING the installation of Zimbra.  There seems
to be a Catch 22 here.

> > (shouldn't be necessary, AFAIK), the Zimbra setup script connects to
> > port 389 but complains that TLS is an unsupported option.
>
> Then just recompile the openldap that comes with SL (recreate the RPM if you
> like - src.rpm's are readily available) and turn of TLS. Then start openldap
> and that error will go away - possibly being replaced by another one :)

Heh.  That's certainly something I don't want to have to do.  I.e., I
don't think it would be particularly difficult, but it introduces
another support headache that I don't need.  And I really can't believe
that it SHOULD be necessary to jump through those kinds of hoops to get
this product installed.

> > If you have any suggestions, please send 'em to me.  Thanks.
>
> I personally wouldn't go the route you're going when using SL5. I'd personally
> look for a Xen VM (appliance) of Zimbra (I'm pretty sure there's one out
> there), load into as a Virtual machine and then spend my time on Zimbra config
> instead of setup. That's one of the major reasons to go to SL5 and setup time
> reduction is one of the major reasons for VM appliances.

I agree that a VM instance of Zimbra looks appealing.  OTOH:

    (a) The set-up is SUPPOSED to consist of no more than typing:

            ./install.sh

    (b) The stuff I'm doing at the moment is just proof (or disproof, as
        the case may be) of principle.

When/if I get this working on the ancient PIII machine in my office,
I'll look into virtualizing it.

Thanks.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966