SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 08:30:47 +0900
Steve White wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m using Scientific Linux 5, and trying to connect to our IPP printers
> (or printer server, I’m not sure). The only mechanism provided by this
> distribution for Gnome printer configuration is system-config-printer.
>
> I finally figured out how to specify a default printer (by editing
> 	/etc/cups/client.conf
> to contain one line
>         ServerName my_IPP_servername
>
> But how to do this from the Gnome GUI?
>
> (My collegue who uses an identical system, but with KDE, says it was
> effortless for him...but he can't remember what he did.)

That's one of the symptoms of why I don't use gnome though in early
releases, I expected that once the stability problems were resolved I
would. I't being dumbed down to what the developers think users what.

Not this user, I want to be able to configure stuff effortlessly,

In KDE, I think one can (sort of) do it from the the print dialogue
invoked from any _KDE_ application:
Expand Options
choose System Options
choose General
Select "Defaults to last printer used in application."

Note, beside the printer drop-down at the top of the print dialogue is a
"properties" button, In there, one can configure any of the stuff in the
printer's ppd. Couldn't get any of that last time I tried to use Gnome
seriously.

In the Mozilla family one can specify a custom print command, the
default's lpr. The kprinter command works well, gets the KDE print dialogue.
In Control Centre (kcontrol command, I couldn't find it in my broken
menus), choose preipherals, printers, properties, instances and mark the
default.

In Gnome, use of the lpoptions command in a gnome terminal might work.
It creates/maintains users' .lpoptions file. Here's mine:
08:29 [summer@numbat ~]$ cat .lpoptions
Default Kyocera Smoothing=None
Dest Laserjet
Special Advanced%20Faxing%20Tool%20(ksendfax)
Special Mail%20PDF%20File
Special Print%20to%20File%20(PDF)
Special Print%20to%20File%20(PostScript)
Special Send%20to%20Fax
08:29 [summer@numbat ~]$

--

Cheers