SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Steve White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:09:22 +0100
Hi,

I’m using Scientific Linux 5, and trying to connect to our IPP printers
(or printer server, I’m not sure). The only mechanism provided by this
distribution for Gnome printer configuration is system-config-printer.

I finally figured out how to specify a default printer (by editing
	/etc/cups/client.conf
to contain one line
        ServerName my_IPP_servername

But how to do this from the Gnome GUI?

(My collegue who uses an identical system, but with KDE, says it was
effortless for him...but he can't remember what he did.)

I talked to the developers of system-config-printer: they say this utility
is only for configuration of CUPS servers.  I don't have access to our
fileserver, and it fails badly and confusedly to do anything useful.
I also couldn't get it to connect to the printers directly.

I also tried setting up my system to be a CUPS server, and could make
CUPS printers that seemed to see our networked printers, but never had
any luck actually printing to them (the jobs would just hang in the
queue, allthough the printers were all activated...the logs said something
about "Unable to connect to printer").

Cheers!

Steve White                                             +49(331)7499-202
Computer Programmierer                                    Zi. 35  Bg. 20
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Peter A. Stolz

Stiftung privaten Rechts, Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: III/7-71-026