SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Steve Traylen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Traylen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:59:57 +0100

On Jan 15, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Tony Hoffmann wrote:

> I found that there are some compatibility issues between RHEL5 and
> SL5 in regards to how java 1.5.0 is being distributed.  We have a
> beta astronomy package which depends on RedHat's java-1.5.0-sun
> (specifically it lists libjava.so as a requirement).  Their repo
> does supply the required package, but yum removes the SL java-1.5.0-
> sun-compat as it conflicts with the Redhat packaging.
>
> I guess my question is why does SL use different packaging from the
> upstream vendor for java 1.5.0?

I would avoid using SUN' s java rpm that are in the SL repo since they
are broken for a number of reasons. One in particular is
that they publish that they provide xml-commons-apis and in fact it do
not. This then get removed by other packages in repository
which do genuinly provide it.

The JPackage version of java RPMS work significantly better.

this page has some of the details

https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/EGEE/GLite31JPackage . It details
SL4 but is the same for SL5.

or just use  Jpackage instructions them selves.

If you look in google that are lots of threads about why SUNs Java
Package is not very good.

  Steve

--
Steve Traylen