SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:29:17 -0600
Tony Hoffmann wrote:
> I found that there are some compatibility issues between RHEL5 and SL5
> in regards to how java 1.5.0 is being distributed.  We have a beta
> astronomy package which depends on RedHat's java-1.5.0-sun (specifically
> it lists libjava.so as a requirement).  Their repo does supply the
> required package, but yum removes the SL java-1.5.0-sun-compat as it
> conflicts with the Redhat packaging.
>
> I guess my question is why does SL use different packaging from the
> upstream vendor for java 1.5.0?

Hi,
If you look at what RHEL provides in their ftp site, sun's java isn't
one of them.  That is on their "extras" CD, and we have no public access
to it.

The question might be turned around.  RHEL used to just provide IBM's
java (unless I'm mistaken).  So why don't they package their's the way
we had it when they started including it? :)

OK, the honest truth.
I saw how RHEL packaged their java (they use the other jpackage style),
and I debated on going that way.  I thought about compativility with
past releases and everything.  But then I thought about the discussions
I had with the Sun folk.  I spelled out exactly how we distribute sun's
java, and that is how we do it.  I am not a lawyer, and I do not want to
have to figure out if packaging it in a different way is legal.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468