SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Paul Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:42:17 -0600
On Jan 14, 2008 6:16 PM, Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> > Hi SL-folks,
> >
> > well, it's a fairly old thread, but since I partially have the same
> > problem, I thought it's kind of better to revive it - hope that's ok
>
> I'd personally prefer Firefox 2.0.x for SL5 (or SL4) but have checked here and
> there and can't really find anything relevant to that (I have checked CentOS
> too but maybe I've just missed it?).

I built RPMS for newer firefox and posted here

http://pj.freefaculty.org/ScientificLinux/5/i386/kups/packages/

You can choose i386 or x86_64 platforms.

That is configured as a repository for yum as well, but I did not take
the final step of putting my pgp signature on all the rpms.  I lost
steam because I noticed that the RPMS for CentOS should work on SL5
and there are plenty of providers of packages for CentOS.

Installing new firefox requires replacement of devhelp and yelp as
well.  That part of building firefox is a pain in the ass.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science