SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Paul Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:07:34 -0600
On Jan 8, 2008 6:44 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> evince is the prefered way to read pdf in SL5 but like xpdf it does
> not have acroread form capabilities.
>
> acroread is a closed source product and you should get it from Adobe
> for best utility:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html
>
> It doesn't look like they have yum repositories for this like they do for flash.

Their site is changed.  In my system, I have a repo file for adobe:

 $ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/adobe-linux-i386.repo
[adobe-linux-i386]
name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

The last time I checked, that offered both the flash player plugin as
well as the acrobat reader.

In their site now, you can search "yum repository" and it does point
to a repository option

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux&P3_Browser_Version=Netscape4

But the fact that they have removed this from their main acrobat
download page make me suspect something fishy has gone on there.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science