SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Dr Ronnie Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 21:26:39 +0000
Hi Folks,

While performing "yum upgrade" the system had a
Loop 1 kernel panic (interupt handler not syncing)
whilst it was upgrading the kudzu package.
When it rebooted it gave the same kernel error
at the boot stage where it runs the kudzu script.
I consequently used a rescue CD to disable the kadzu boot
script; the system came back and "yum upgrade" went fine.

However when I went back to reinstall the kadzu package
(either from the 2.4.21-52.ELsmp or 2.4.21-53.ELsmp kernels)
it fell over with the same kernel panic message, this also
happens at boot time if I turn back on the kadzu init script.

As the hardware on the system is unlikely to change I guess
kadzu isn't really needed anyway, but I'm a bit worried this
could be a symptom of a more serious issue.

Anyone got any pointers or similar experiences?

cheers,
Ronnie
    Ronnie Wallace
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland