SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:53:45 -0600
How about using group membership?  RHEL-based systems use the "you are
the only member of your own group/umask 002" technique when creating
accounts.  Then, they join the user to additional "project" based groups
for access to resources.  So, for instance, if you are a member of the
kryptonian group, you would be able to access resources owned by
root.kryptonian.  The 002 umask is what does the trick because the user
picks up the correct permissions when she logs in.  Obviously, resources
must be appropriately chmod'ed to 770 or 750.  But this is something you
do only once.

Hope this helps.

Ken