SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
Steve White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:26:51 +0100
Jon,

Of course, I misspoke.  Of course, CUPS was installed by default.  I would
never have been able to print at all without it.  Where I said "without
CUPS running" I meant the CUPS print server daemon cupsd.

The problem remains that although the Gnome desktop offers several tools
for configuring printing, none of them functions without cupsd running.

The daemon was not running out of the box, and it was never running in
my previous SL system.  This is fine: it SHOULDN'T be running by default,
because it isn't necessary for each machine to be a print server.

But the effect is that a Gnome user with a remote network print server can
click around until they're blue in the face, and nothing will ever print.
They must discover and issue a non-GUI command (or else possibly start
the CUPS daemon...but that isn't clear--it certainly isn't to me, because
I never got that to send print jobs either.)

The SL distro desktops should provide a clear GUI for connecting to a
remote print server without starting cupsd.  This should be very easy to do.

Cheers!

--
Steve White                                             +49(331)7499-202

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Peter A. Stolz

Stiftung privaten Rechts, Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: III/7-71-026