SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:32:46 +0900
Steve White wrote:
> Paul,

>> The CUPS print system wants you to use its configuration through the
>> web browser at port 631.  Assuming you have the httpd package
>> installed, what happens ifyou browse
>>
>> http://localhost:631
>>
>> The IPP protocol can be specified there as one of the options on the
>> second page.
>>
>> The CUPS config through the web browser is the preferred method of
>> configuration, and the gnome or kde GUI thingies are not.
>>
> This only works if CUPS is running on the local system.
> Cups is not running on my machine; I don't know why it should be.

What only works if CUPS is running on the local system.

> CUPS is not running on my colleague's identical system, who set it up with
> KDE "effortlessly" to use the print server to print to networked printers.

KDE's control centre allows the selection of a printer server on a
remote host, it's a fairly simple thing to do.

That's not a useful thing to do on a laptop though, if you commonly use
more than one network.

> As I said, I did try setting up CUPS on my system, but after a couple
> of days of fiddling and reading web pages, never saw it print anything.
>
> The question is, how to configure a system (using the Gnome GUI) to
> use a remote print server and networked printers.

Well, AFAIK CUPS is installed on all my Linux systems that run one of these:
Fedora 8
Fedora Core 5 (two laptops)
OpenSUSE 10.2 (one laptop)
WBEL4 (A RHEL4 clone)
CentOS4
Scientific Linux 5
Various Ubuntu

and additionally, on my Apple Powerbook G4 which is running Mac OS X Tiger.

Did you know that CUPS is a product of Apple? I don't think Apple
acquired it for its line of servers.

I think your desktops will work a lot better if you install CUPS. My
laptops have no difficulty finding the printers on the LANs I use,
without being told where to look. In fact, Linux does this better than
Mac OS X does. CUPS has the ability to broadcast its services, to poll
CUPS servers you know about that don't broadcast or that broadcast
doesn't reach. Once, I configured _one_ of my systems to poll the
printer server at work (through my VPN) and all the printers appeared on
all my local computers.

CUPS does what you are missing.

--

Cheers