SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:58:21 +0900
Roelof van der Kleij wrote:
> As a follow up for SL 5.1:
> I have an optiplex 755/2Gb/Ati radeonpci-e / latest bios (A04)
>
> I get a number of 'PCI: Cannot allocate resource region x'
> error messages. The system is slow. X works, but I cannot get the
> accelerated proprietary ATI driver to work.
> Network does work out of the box. I have not tested sound.
>
> I have seen some similar problems with centos. All in all this rig does
> not seem to work with SL. The wait is for a new kernel or maybe a new bios.
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100658
>
> IMHO the underlaying problem is that the RHEL philosophy of backporting
> newer kernel features to an older kernel version cannot keep up with the
> current frantic pace of hardware development. Maybe fedora is the way to
> go for desktops?

It might be. Fedora has newer technology; if you're developing software
to deploy to next RHEL, that makes sense.

OTOH it's higher maintenance. It will fail more often - new technology
has its risks, you need to upgrade more often to remain on supported
releases and your users will spend more time learning their new desktops.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait