SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2008

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:38:15 +0000
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hi Jon,
> Thanks for testing.
> What do you have listed in your kickstart for packages.

Obviously it lists pine, though we are using a locally built pine package
which has the 'chappa' patches applied so we don't actually use the SL
pine package.  I see that the chappa patches are already available for
alpine so I may as well build a local alpine package for testing.

   http://staff.washington.edu/chappa/pine/
   http://staff.washington.edu/chappa/alpine/

Hitorically while pine was maintained some of Chappa's patches used to
make it into the next release and judging from
http://staff.washington.edu/chappa/alpine/indexold.html it seems that a
number have already been incorporated into alpine 1.00.

> We purposely left both alpine and pine in the distribution.  Alpine is newer
> and looks like it now has support, which pine doesn't.  But we figured there
> might be enough changed in it that some users want their old pine.

Fair enough.  I just wasn't expecting alpine to be listed 'cos previously
pine wasn't installed by default...

Before we make alpine the default we will probably want to offer both for
a while, so we will need to hack things to allow us to install both
packages.

> I had seen that conflict when I first put them in, because I had them both
> listed in the text-internet section.  But then I took pine out of the comps
> and put alpine in and didn't see the error again.  I hadn't thought of
> looking at kickstarts.
>
> And, yes, it was intentional that it is default in text-internet and optional
> in misc-sl.  Everything in misc-sl is optional.  While if someone is
> installing text-internet they want a text based mail reader, and pine (or
> alpine) is what most people think of.
>
> How big of a problem do people think this is?

No problem at all.  Adding a one-line item next to alpine in the release
notes mentioning that it is incldued by default with 'text-internet' would
have saved a few mins of searching.

> Troy
> p.s. We released RC 2.5 last night, before I read this.  As far as pine and
> alpine goes, there was no change.

I'll hopefully get round to trying RC2.5 today.

  -- Jon