SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2007

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:12:31 +0100
Hi Troy,

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Howdy All,
> It looks like RedHat is finally starting to show how it plans on allowing
> people to "sit on a release", or whatever they are calling it.

They call it "z-stream". I found little information about it, just a
short thread on epel-devel and a remark in an anaconda presentation.

> With this latest security release of samba, for RHEL 4, they have released
> both a security and bug fix samba, and a security only release.
> The problem is that for the "security only" release, the path where you are
> supposed to get it, doesn't exist.
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4AS-4.5.z/en/os/SRPMS/samba-3.0.10-2.el4_5.2.src.rpmbd444386c67ac7144c57d1bf8e0df4db
>
> Anybody have any ideas where they are hiding this src rpm?

No. Maybe that advisory just escaped from the test lab. The binary
rpm is not available to ordinary customers either, and I'm not aware of
any possibility to purchase the "extended update support" option mentioned
in the advisory. Maybe even the z-stream option is for select customers
only. Or it really doesn't exist yet.

> Or ... does it not matter, since we have already pushed out the samba update
> that is for a newer samba than this one yet the security advisory said it was
> for everyone.

I think it doesn't matter. Anyway, our samba person was quite glad to get
a new version instead of a backported fix. If they just did this with
some of the other packages as well. Let's hope the z-streams
materialize eventually and the ordinary updates become a bit more
progressive - even if that makes them more cumbersome as well.

Cheers,
 	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand