SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2007

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:37:17 +0100
On 03/12/07 12:20, Alex Owen wrote:
> Now I engage my brain I see the "problem" is with Java 1.4.2 and the DLJ
> only started from "Java 5".

(We haven't distributed 5 either because of the unclear/threatening
wording of the "real" license).

Thanks for the pointer, I'll review the DLJ to see whether this
clarifies things. At first glance the "indemnify SUN" and "enforce US
export controls"-clauses are still in, and the FAQ that says "don't
worry about gcj being shipped in parallel" is as such not a legal part
of the license (even if it clarifies the intention). At least the
"optional file list" is legal part of the license and as such would
allow to drop the nonfunctional Kerberos bits (kinit/klist).

The whole point of the FAQ/DLJ-pages seems to be that the JDK license is
indeed scary. But tellingly, that license has not been changed, it just
got some fluff around it...

Best regards
jan