SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2007

From:
Zhi-Wei Lu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Zhi-Wei Lu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:11:19 -0800
Hi,

I try to update a DELL Precision 450 machine from SL 4.5 to SL 5.0.  I
failed to do a fresh reinstall with either nfs-kickstart or directly
from an i386 DVD media.

This machine is equipped with:
LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI
(rev 07).

It takes the installer a LONG time to load the SCSI module "mptspi",
this module appears to cause a lot problems, the keys on the keyboard
(USB or PS2) are unresponsive except CONTROL-ALT-DELETE, DHCP and NFS
all seem to fail.

Does anyone see such problem before? What is the fix? Or I should wait
for the SL 5.1 release to try my luck again.

On a different note, I also notice a lot of ata_piix error messages (on
other DELL machines) at the beginning of boot process, thus it prolongs
the booting process, the system nevertheless appears to work just fine.
Is there any way to silent these messages?

Thanks for your help!