SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 07:24:01 +0900
Jérôme Roccaz wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to download Linux updates, burn
> them in order to install them on another computer that cannot be
> connected to internet?

Sure
Find a mirror
Download the lot
If you can, run createrepo
Burn to CD/DVD using whatever tools are at hand.

If the mirror supports rsync, downloading the lot's pretty easy, and you
can easily get the repo data too.

If not rsync, then wget will probably do a fine job.

Either way, it's best to maintain your local mirror, so you can
transport updated versions of it fairly regularly.

btw CD/DVD isn't the only medium, my 4 Gbyte Sandisk is pretty handy for
this, and it lives in my bumbag.

--

Cheers
John