SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:01:46 -0600
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Klaus Steinberger wrote:
>> Hello Connie, hello Troy,
>>
>> what's you're plans about SL 5.1? I have seen that the official
>> release notes (not the beta's) are online upstream, so I suppose they
>> have released 5.1 at upstream.
>>
>> I'm very interested in 5.1 as I hope that it will solve some problems
>> and missing features from what I read in the release notes.
>>
>> Main points for me:
>>
>> Better S-Ata support (should solve the problem with CD/DVD Drives on
>> newer HP Desktops)
>> Better Virtualisation support (e.g. Live Migration also for HVM)
>> Direct Areca Support
>>
>> Sincerly,
>> Klaus
>
> Hello Klaus,
> RedHat has *not* released RHEL 5.1.  They have put up the release notes
> but nothing else.  There has been no formal announcement that I can
> find, and most importantly to us, they haven't released any source code.
> It doesn't really matter even if they do make an announcement, until the
> source code is released, we can't do anything.
> Rest assured, when the source code is released, we'll start working on it.
> Thanks
> Troy

Of course, RedHat wanted to prove me wrong.
There has been an announcement, there is now at least enough source code
to start a build (might even be everything, but we haven't checked yet).
Anyway, we're currently in the download phase, transitioning into the
compile phase.
Done expect an alpha release until next week though.
Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468