SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2007

From:
Harold Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harold Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:56:22 -0500
Hi,

Its very true that you lose out on RedHat's support for a recompiled
kernel, but if you maintain the latest version of the kernel, you should
get the latest fixes, whatever they may be.

I personally have been using Redhat with my own kernel for about 10
years or so (RedHat 5.2) and have never had a kernel related issue.  As
far as performance goes, if you remove all of the unnecessary modules
from the kernel, and build it to work with the hardware you have,  it
will run faster because the available kernels are built to run on
generic processors.  If you take a i386 kernel and run it on a Pentium
4, you lose out on all optimizations for the faster processor.

Harold