SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:43:26 +0900
Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> and a question mark at the and of this sentence.
> (sorry for the typos)
>
>> What are your concerns?
>
> My concerns were if SL x runs optimally on a pair of these quad core
> processors or whether some tweaking would be required. And as someone
> already said, the kernel should be adapted.

Harold said he builds his own, and that it can be optimised for your
processor.

I'd want to see performance figures before I accepted that doing that is
actually beneficial.

By doing that, you lose Red Hat's support of your kernel, you don't get
its security updates, you don't any extra features Red Hat adds and you
don't get the benefits of Red Hat's QA.[1]

Using kernels from kernel.org is a bit like using Fedora, there are
times it's appropriate, but not if you want the system to come up first
time, every time, and to stay up all the time, every time.

[1] It's true that in using a RHEL clone, those benefits are diluted
somewhat, but the source code our vendors get from RH is what RH used to
build its packages. We still benefit from RH's work.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait