SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2007

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:26:41 -0600
Radu Iliescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install SL 4.5 on a computer (ACER Power F6) with a SATA h
> ard
> disk. During the installation the hard disk drive is not recognized.
>
> A workaround could be to change the disk with a IDE (PATA) hard disk,
> install SL, get the drivers for SATA controller and then migrate the syst
> em
> to the SATA hard disk. Here the problem is that the computer is sealed an
> d I
> don't want to lose the warranty.
>
> Does anybody know any other solution or workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> Radu Iliescu

You could try checking your bios for SATA settings.  Quite often you can
change the way the controller behaves, although I can't recall the
terminology they use for it.  It should be listed as something like
Enhanced or Legacy.  Try flipping that setting and see what you get.

Cheers,
Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola