SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2007

From:
Johan Mares <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johan Mares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:57:38 +0100
I have a SL5.0 installation and I want to monitor a directory for new
files (FTP), when a file is created a script should be executed to do
something with the contents of the file and the remove the file.
When I do a locate on inotify and dnotify they are both found. dnotify
is found in directories of gamin and kernel. When I try to execute
dnotify I get a command not found error, the same with inotify. When I
try the examples at http://www.linuxjournal.com/print/8478,
http://edoceo.com/creo/inotify/,
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-inotify.html, ...
all I get is errors and not founds.

How can I check if inotify is (correctly) installed and available ?
Where can I find some good examples to use on SL5.0 ?
Or is there an alternative in order to raise an event every time a file
is created in a specified directory ?
I also asked this question in some newsgroups, the only answer I got was
to hack my ftpdeamon (vsftpd). (I am webdeveloper (PHP, javascript,
Ajax, ...) and install LAMPs on SL5.0, but that is it, for now anyway).

Thanx,

Johan
--

VLIZ