SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2007

From:
Maxim kovgan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maxim kovgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:22:12 +0200
John Summerfield wrote:
> Maxim kovgan wrote:
>> John Summerfield wrote:

>>> This is a routing/firewall problem. the cvs command asks for the
>>> password before trying to connect.
>>>
>>> 07:02 [summer@numbat ~]$ cvs  -d
>>> :pserver:anoncvs@localhost:2401/var/lib/ login
>>> Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@localhost:2401/var/lib
>>> CVS password:
>>> cvs [login aborted]: connect to [localhost]:2401 failed: Connection
>>> refused
>>> 07:03 [summer@numbat ~]$
>>
>> It's most probably tcpwrappers
>
> No. That allows a connexion, then rejects it. You don't get "no route"
> or "refused messages."

AFAIK tcpwrappers refuse too.
but I somehow missed the no route to.. :)
and you're right! it needs some investigation:

1. ping to the host
2. traceroute to the host.

if you sporadically get the no route problem, it means you have ... a routing
problem :)

after you finished up with it, you can continue and trouble shoot.
routing problem can be cause by your university/enterprise firewall too.

you can also investigate with tcpdump, which is a great sniffer.

Good luck!

--
Maxim Kovgan,
Distributed Systems and Data Mining Laboratory