SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:26:35 -0600
Hi All,
We have a bit of a problem with java on SL4, and I believe most of you know at
least part of it.
Our java rpm's come straight from Sun with no changes.  Even signing them
causes problems with the rpm.
The 1.4.2 rpm that comes from sun, for some unkown reason, says that it
obsoletes jdk.  This means that when you update the j2sdk, it deletes any jdk
rpms an admin might have added even if it's newer.  So if I send out an update
to the current j2sdk for 1.4.2, it will delete the 1.5.0 java and/or the 1.6.0
java.

But I'm really hating not getting the security updates out for this java.

I see three options.
1 - We just push it out as it is, and say "sorry" to everyone this hurts.
(That's what we did last time ... and trust me, that's alot of "sorry" I had to
  say)
2 - We rebuild the j2sdk rpm, leaving out the obsolete line.
3 - We drop j2sdk and change our supported java to be version 1.5 and above.

I am leaving heavily towards option 3.  Just move everything up to java 1.5 or
above.

But the question is, how much is that going to hurt people and/or experiments?

I *think* that moving to jave 1.5 isn't going to affect programs running 1.4.2,
but I don't know.

Also, why stop at 1.5, what if we just did the latest 1.6, and maybe say we're
always going to stay at the latest stable release for java.

I need some second opinions.

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group