SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2007

From:
Thomas Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:15:42 +0100
Hi Stephan,

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
> > So ... we're waiting to see if the bug get fixed?  If it does, we update,
> > if it doesn't, we get the more patched version of 1.4.4?
> > Is this correct?  Just working on what goes in and what doesn't.  Hopefully
> > we can get this release out fairly quick.
>
> Correct ... but maybe a bit more complicated.
>
> First, I'm not convinced the bug isn't present in 1.4.4 or earlier releases -
> after all it hasn't been identified yet, so we don't know. Thomas, do you
> have evidence (and if you have a feeling only, that would be sufficient to
> me) that the bug is 1.4.5-only?

I'm quite sure that this problem is present in earlier releases too.
First time the problem occured here was with 1.4.4 and
there are bug reports for 1.4.2 seeming to address the same problem.
There must be some very special conditions to trigger the problem - so far
we couldn't create a test scenario ...

> Hence my proposal: Let's put the 1.4.5 build I offered into the 5.1 beta.
> If additional fixes come up in the course of tracking Thomas' bug, let's add
> them. If SL5.1 has to be released and we're not convinced that the then
> current openafs build is good enough, let's fall back to a "1.4.4+cat1" build
> that had serious real life testing.

I agree.
If the problem sometimes get fixes it would be nice to have an updated
openafs package too.

Thanks,
Thomas.