SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:56:12 -0600
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Connie Sieh wrote:
>
>> Developers,
>>
>> Scientific Linux "SL 5.1"  ALPHA for i386 is now available for testing.
>
> Just another datapoint for you.
>
> I unexpectedly managed to get hold of a test Dell Optiplex 755 yesterday
> (I wasn't expecting it to turn up 'til next week when I'll be over in DC).
>
> SL 5.0 network installs don't work on the 755 because of the new Intel
> pro/1000 chipset that Dell chose to use so I wasn't expecting 5.1 to like
> it but in fact anaconda auto detected the card and decided to use the
> e1000e driver which worked fine (apparently the e1000 driver needs to be >
> 7.6.9 to support this chipset).
>
> Anyway a couple of test kickstart installs of the i386 version worked
> flawlessly and it didn't even mind being pointed at our local yum repos
> which include SL50 updates as well as locally added packages.
>
> When I get back from my holiday I'll be able to do some more significant
> testing (and probably on x86_64 too when that alpha is released).
>
> Finally a question I'm not sure if I've asked before.  Is there a reason
> how/why /etc/yum.conf contains the line:
>
>    distroverpkg=redhat-release
>
> and while there isn't such a package $releasever in a repo config gets set
> to the version of sl-release (which does *provide* redhat-release).
>
> Sadly $releasever doesn't match the directory names in the SL trees so one
> can't simply have a repo with a line like:
>
> baseurl=ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$releasever/$basearch/SL
>
> btw is there a _good_ way to add something to tell yum that I have a local
> mirror of a repo without having to edit the repos.d/ files each time?
>
>   -- Jon

Hmmm ... something that needs some thinking about ...
I haven't tried any of this, I'm just thinking out loud ...

What if in /etc/yum.conf we had the variable
repourl=http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/

and then in the yum.repo's you could have

baseurl=$repourl/51/$basearch/SL

Do you think that would confuse people?

What about having a comment at the top that says something like

# To change the repourl you need to edit /etc/yum.conf

I'm still thinking about what to do about the $releasever because that doesn't
match where we actually have our distributions.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group