SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 03:06:18 +0000
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Connie Sieh wrote:

> Developers,
>
> Scientific Linux "SL 5.1"  ALPHA for i386 is now available for testing.

Just another datapoint for you.

I unexpectedly managed to get hold of a test Dell Optiplex 755 yesterday
(I wasn't expecting it to turn up 'til next week when I'll be over in DC).

SL 5.0 network installs don't work on the 755 because of the new Intel
pro/1000 chipset that Dell chose to use so I wasn't expecting 5.1 to like
it but in fact anaconda auto detected the card and decided to use the
e1000e driver which worked fine (apparently the e1000 driver needs to be >
7.6.9 to support this chipset).

Anyway a couple of test kickstart installs of the i386 version worked
flawlessly and it didn't even mind being pointed at our local yum repos
which include SL50 updates as well as locally added packages.

When I get back from my holiday I'll be able to do some more significant
testing (and probably on x86_64 too when that alpha is released).

Finally a question I'm not sure if I've asked before.  Is there a reason
how/why /etc/yum.conf contains the line:

   distroverpkg=redhat-release

and while there isn't such a package $releasever in a repo config gets set
to the version of sl-release (which does *provide* redhat-release).

Sadly $releasever doesn't match the directory names in the SL trees so one
can't simply have a repo with a line like:

baseurl=ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$releasever/$basearch/SL

btw is there a _good_ way to add something to tell yum that I have a local
mirror of a repo without having to edit the repos.d/ files each time?

  -- Jon