SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2007

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:12:14 -0800
> > We also still seem to be moving only slowly with respect to "scientific"
> > addon software - perhaps it would be worth to see whether the CentOS or
> > EPEL fare any better with this? (and perhaps ship with disabled YUM repo
> > entries for them)?
> >
> That's a good idea as well.  Find out which repositories from CentOS people
> want in.
> The one thing I worry about with EPEL is that I have heard that they often are
> not compatible with the CentOS, dag, and atrpms repositories.  I haven't
> confirmed this, just heard it once or twice.
>
> Troy

Coming from CentOS, I feel including certain CentOS repos is useful.
'centosplus' and 'extras' come to my mind as such candidates.
Potential conflicts of packages are always a concern especially with
EPEL as pointed out.  Therefore, installation and proper setup of
yum-priorities will be essential.  My suggestion, if these external
repos are to be included, is not only to ship them disabled but to
provide some pre-set priority= values in the .repo files.

Akemi